Saturday 30 June 2012

Djokovic rallies past stepanek at Wimbledon


Novak Djokovic is tough to beat at Wimbledon, indoors or out. Playing the day’s first Centre Court match on Friday under the retractable roof, defending champion Djokovic rallied past Radek Stepanek 4-6, 6-2, 6-2, 6-2.

When a drizzle delayed the start of the third round, tournament officials decided Djokovic’s match should be played inside. 

“I was a little bit surprised, when I saw sunshine, that the roof is closed,” Djokovic said. “Obviously they’re relying on a forecast that I don’t think is very reliable here. But OK.”

The No. 1-ranked Djokovic missed opportunities to seize an early lead, failing to convert his first five break-point chances before he lost serve at love to drop the opening set. But he dominated from there, breaking in the first game in each of the final three sets.

 “I was a set down but managed to make the crucial break in the opening game of the second set,” Djokovic said. “And then I thought I played really well.”

The match remained entertaining even as it became lopsided. One game in the final set lasted 26 points and had Djokovic smiling at Stepanek’s unconventional style, which included a belly flop in pursuit of a shot.

“The fourth set from Novak’s side was very impressive,” Stepanek said. “I was battling until the end, but the fourth set I felt like no matter what I do on the court, he always answers.”

The victory made it two in row under the roof for Djokovic.

“I thought I played great,” he said. “But, look, this is an outdoor tournament, so I think everybody wants to play when the roof is open.”

Keywords – Novak Djokovic, Radek Stepanek, and djokovic rallies past stepanek.


Kindly Bookmark and Share it:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Twitter Bird Gadget